Anterior knee pain / Patellofemoral pain syndrome
Anterior knee pain, sometimes referred to as patellofemoral syndrome, is the most common cause of chronic knee pain. The condition develops due to softening of the cartilage beneath the kneecap (patella), resulting in small areas of breakdown of cartilage and eventually arthritic changes in knee joint, if not treated early.
- Vague pain around the kneecap with weight bearing activities.
- Clicking sound from knee joint
- Giving-way felling of the knee
- Increased levels of physical activity
- Malalignment of lower legs
- Hip and thigh muscles weakness / imbalance
- Having flat foot related pathologies
- Females with wide pelvis
Assessment – The podiatrists at toe-tal will diagnose the condition through a physical examination and biomechanical assessment. These assessments include checking lower limb muscle muscles imbalance (weaknesses & tightnesses), range of motion test of knee and foot and organizing specific x-rays to see the degree of abnormal alignment and arthritic changes.
The podiatrist will also implement a gait analysis which will provide more comprehensive knowledge and evidence regarding the cause of their knee pain, especially if there is any involvement with their foot mechanics.
Treatment: – It is important to follow a rehabilitation program so your injury doesn’t reoccur.
- REST or decrease in training intensity
- Apply ICE over the painful area for 15 minutes
- Take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for pain relief
- Stretching and strengthening exercises – (talk to podiatrist what exercises require to do)
- Footwear advice/modification – (talk to the podiatrist at toe-tal about what footwear suits your foot best)
- Orthotic therapy
- Refer to physiotherapy or orthopedic surgeon
Please contact the appropriate location for bookings.
Salisbury Medical Centre
PH: 3277 1621 - Fax: 3277 2887
ACE Sports Medicine – Hibiscus Sports Complex
PH: 3349 5733 - Fax: 3349 5122
Acacia Ridge Day And Night Chemmart Pharmacy
PH: 3277 4220 - Fax: 3255 5644
Brisbane Medical Specialists – Tarragindi
PH: 3184 0400 - Fax: 3892 7094
Morningside General Practice Clinics – Morningside Plaza
PH: 3399 4685 - Fax: 3395 7377
Any other enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0422 389 652