Mallet Toe, Hammer Toe & Claw Toe
Mallet toe, hammer toes and claw toe are three main forms of toe deformities in the foot.
Mallet toe is characterized by the downward bending the third joint of the lesser toe, presenting a mallet-like appearance.
Hammer toe refers to upwards pulling the first joint and downward bending of the second joint of the toe, commonly affecting second and third toe. This results in high pressure on the ball of the foot. Low-arch feet normally develop hammer toes.
Claw toe is described as upwards pulling the first joint and downward bending of the second and third joint of the toe, usually involving all the lesser toes. More pressure is on the end of the claw toe. Claw toes are commonly seen in high-arched feet.
- Muscle imbalance
- Foot type (eg. High arch and low arch)
- Poor footwear
- Corns on the top or end of the toe
- Callous on the ball of the feet
- Pain in any joints of the toe
Assessment – The podiatrists at toe-tal will diagnose the condition through a physical examination and biomechanical assessment, and go through all the necessary treatments listed below to help get you back on the right path.
- Footwear advice/modification – (talk to the podiatrist at toe-tal about what footwear suits your foot best).
- Wear protective padding on corns and callous
- Debridement of callous and corns from a health professional (Podiatrist at toe-tal podiatry can deride dead skin safely)
- Do exercises regularly (eg. Soft tissue extension and intrinsic muscle exercises)
- Use splints or straps to realign the affected toes (Podiatrist will make customized ones)
- Orthotics (whether off the shelf, prefabricated or customized)
Please contact the appropriate location for bookings.
Salisbury Medical Centre
PH: 3277 1621 - Fax: 3277 2887
ACE Sports Medicine – Hibiscus Sports Complex
PH: 3349 5733 - Fax: 3349 5122
Acacia Ridge Day And Night Chemmart Pharmacy
PH: 3277 4220 - Fax: 3255 5644
Brisbane Medical Specialists – Tarragindi
PH: 3184 0400 - Fax: 3892 7094
Morningside General Practice Clinics – Morningside Plaza
PH: 3399 4685 - Fax: 3395 7377
Any other enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0422 389 652