Tailor’s bunion is a prominence or bump on the 5th toe joint (similar to that of a bunion on the 1st toe). It is usually aggravated by wearing tight shoes, resulting constant pressure and pain. Tailor’s bunion is less common as regular bunion; however, they are similar in cause and symptoms. Tailor’s bunion received its name centuries ago, because it occurred regularly in tailors who sat cross-legged all day with the outside edge of their feet rubbing on the ground.
Pain, swelling and redness over the enlarged joint
- Irritation of tight or narrow shoes
- Poor biomechanics (eg. Supinated foot)
- Poor footwear (eg. tight toe box)
- Family history
- Bony spur
Assessment – The podiatrists at toe-tal will diagnose the condition through a physical examination and biomechanical assessment, and go through all the necessary treatments listed below to help get you on the right path.
- Apply ICE over the painful area for 15 minutes
- Take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for pain, maximum 7 days
- Wearing the correct socks to reduce bunion pain by reducing the friction by providing cushioning. It is important to choose socks with low friction, so seams over the bunions and cushions over the bunion area from shoe pressure.
- Using a pad (gel or foam) over the bunion deformity
- Footwear advice/modification – avoidance of narrow fitting shoes (talk to the podiatrist at toe-tal about what footwear suits your foot best).
- Orthotic therapy may be prescribed to help protect the joint and redistribute pressure elsewhere
- Corticosteroid injections may help reduce inflammation around joint
- Bunion surgery (of course only after trying all these conservative treatments first)
Please contact the appropriate location for bookings.
Salisbury Medical Centre
PH: 3277 1621 - Fax: 3277 2887
ACE Sports Medicine – Hibiscus Sports Complex
PH: 3349 5733 - Fax: 3349 5122
Acacia Ridge Day And Night Chemmart Pharmacy
PH: 3277 4220 - Fax: 3255 5644
Brisbane Medical Specialists – Tarragindi
PH: 3184 0400 - Fax: 3892 7094
Morningside General Practice Clinics – Morningside Plaza
PH: 3399 4685 - Fax: 3395 7377
Any other enquiries please email email@example.com or call 0422 389 652